Thursday, March 25, 2010

Floating Row Cover Is My Friend!

Yesterday, Chris and I ventured out to a garden center I have known of for awhile but never had a reason to drive out and visit, until now!  After numerous phone calls to local plant nurseries, garden, home and landscaping stores, and even a Tractor Supply Co., I succummed to the realization that no store carried floating row cover-an item of utmost importance to my farming project.  However, after one last go at scouring the net, I came across Marvin's Organic Gardens in Lebanon, Ohio.  I determined (after a month's worth of weekly phone calls to check the shipping progress of this most-coveted item) that they did indeed sell row cover or frost cloth.  I'm not sure why Cincinnati garden centers don't carry this item and very surprised that big box stores don't bother with it either.  In my thinking, this prime gardening product would be everywhere, but most places I contacted didn't even know to what I was referring.  So, I figured I could at least fill you in!

This product is something I did without for my first gardening venture last year in MO, but have every intention of utilizing this time around.  Floating row cover is a great aid for the organic gardener.  Since I didn't personally take advantage of this plant protection but watched as my fellow apprentice farming friends did and subsequently harvested delicious produce, I can easily attest to the postive outcome of its use and the negative results I experienced. This 'garden blanket' of sorts looks almost like a giant dryer sheet (sans fresh scent), can let light, air, and water in but prevents pests, extreme heat, and frost from bothering your veggies!  It is laid atop the plants and needs no support from below but should be weighed down on the edges.  It can be used over and over again if treated properly and allows gardeners to create a mini greenhouse effect for young plants or seedlings transplanted outdoors earlier than usual.  One word of advice....remember to take off the cover once your plants flower so they can be pollinated!  By then, they should be hardy enough to withstand most pest attacks.

I plan on using my row cover to protect my young eggplants from pests. I gleaned ZERO eggplant during last season; flea beetles made lace work of the eggplants' leaves and thus, made it nearly impossible for the poor things to bear fruit.  This year will be different, and I'm already daydreaming of making my favorite eggplant parmesean dish or my potato and eggplant curry

So, if you're planning on setting out some fragile transplants or want to start your veggies earlier or protect them from the heat in the middle of summer, I highly recommend buying yourself a resuable sheet of row cover.  Try your local nurseries (hopefully, your luckier than me) or resort to paying for S&H and buy yours online.  I bought the exact product that I've linked below.  I spent $15.00 and did have to drive a bit farther than I would like, but I got to support a local, family business and enjoy a drive out to some true farm country! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you found that row cover stuff you needed! Your little plants look so cute, I can't wait to watch them progress and then hear about how yummy they taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...me too! I appreciate your support even though you won't get to sample any of the harvest. Who knows, maybe my goods will be on the reception menu!

    ReplyDelete