Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer Has Arrived!

A windowsill full of yum























Birdhouse Gourds trellising themselves











Black Hungarian Pepper!






Tomatillo









What's wrong with my peppers?? Anyone?











Don't you just love Zinnias?










Dwarf Sunflowers in front of a big one








When the tomatoes start falling off the vine into your hands....you know summer has arrived. Along with some cherry tomatoes, I harvested my first peppers (one bell and one Black Hungarian) this morning and three tomatillos. I also grabbed some carrots and a few beets. The beets are currently boiling and the carrots were just added to some fresh cabbage picked up at the Madiera Farmers' Market. The scarlet skin of the red dragon carrots add something special to my typical coleslaw.

Last night, the power went out, my boots got soaked on the porch, and three and a half inches of rain fell. I wore my galoshes to the plot this morning, scattered blood meal about the tomatoes, peppers, and tomatillos, grabbed whatever I saw and got out of there before the next thunderstorm rumbled through.

No comments:

Post a Comment