Friday, March 19, 2010

Getting to the bottom of this...

Today is beautifiul here in Cincinnati!  Despite my horrible allergy congestion and a hazy mind, Chris and I set out to the plot with rakes, wheelbarrel, and my new stirrup hoe for our first on site preparation!  Our goal: clear out the masses of straw and garden waste that had accumlated and place them....somewhere.  I'll tell you what we came up for a solution after a few images so you can better understand the land we are working.  Here are the 'before' photos:

The plot: 30' x 50'

STRAW MANIA!!!

                                                                                                             

                                                                                                    
















Since this plot is not located on land that I own, I don't exactly have an area to place my excess straw outside of the garden.  Thus, I made a quick decision that should solve several issues that I was going to have to deal with at some point during the growing season.  We started a compost pile! 

Ok, so right now it's more of a waste straw pile and doesn't contain the proper ratio of carbon to nitrogen or anything to help it actually morph into beautiful, rich compost, but it will; just wait and see!  So, I solved the immediate issue of what to do with 5 wheelbarrows full of straw mush and the other dilemma of having a poorly drained corner in the garden.  Instead of trying to grow food in that utra mushing section or just letting it sit fallow, I will utilize it as my compost heap and thus, maximaze all of the space I have.  The final positive outcome of this decision is that I now have a moist and fertile space that will be the perfect home to grow my squash (Buttercup, Yellow, and Zuchinni).  Even though this wasn't my original plan, I find it comforting and also exciting to get a chance to see how this old-fashioned method can work to keep my squash watered and supplied in nutrients! 

Here is an 'after' photo:

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love reading your posts--you are such a good little farmer. I can't wait to read about all the fruits of your labor!!

    ReplyDelete