Thursday, March 18, 2010

The taters have arrived!



Well, the potatoes are here and I am ecstatic! Those were the last of the seeds to arrive. I purchased the majority of my seeds from Seed Savers Exchange...at least the important ones that I knew of which I would want the special heirloom varieties. I got a total of 5 lbs. of seed potatoes, half Austrian Crescent (a variety of fingerling I grew and ate while working on the farm in Missouri) and the other portion Red Gold. They are beautiful all perked upright in my homemade chitting (a new word I learned for 'sprouting') crates. Take a look for yourself!



I wanted to use egg cartons, but alas, today the recycling got picked up. So, I found some boxes Chris had been hoarding and proceeded to cut small holes with a utility knife and stick the 'rose end' or 'seed end' up. In case you're new to this like me, the 'seed end' has all of the eyes or little dents, and that's where you are trying to encourage the sprouting. I will place these boxes of spuds in a room with adequate natural light and wait until the sprouts get over 1/2 inch before taking them out to plant. I may be a bit behind but no worries...it's not like I have the plot tilled, yet!

Now, I just have to get that land worked. I'm currently waiting on consecutive warm and dry days to warm up and drain the land. The area I will be working in (it has farmed before and comes complete with a very tall fence and water on site-so I shouldn't complain) is on a slight slope and also seems to be in a soggier area of the land. I am also still determining my layout but hope to have that finished very soon.

Until then, I will be enjoying the sunshine, and I think, tomorrow I will take a trip to the plot to study the weeds and contemplate a course of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment