Friday, March 5, 2010

The Adventure Begins...

An opportunity has presented itself. For this growing season, I will be taking on a new gardening project. Although I won't be working at markets or attending weekly enrichment sessions like my last organic garden undertaking with EarthdanceFarms, this time is going to be just as challenging and just as enriching. This time, I will be in charge of EVERYTHING.

Through the generosity of a neighbor and my determination to be my own boss, I have taken responsibility for 1500 square feet (30x50) of prime farm land. I will be embarking on a personal journey filled with a lot of hard work, numerous trials and probably even more errors and hopefully, a lot of growth by both vegetable and human.

So, although I have a decent understanding of how to grow things and enough confidence to risk my time and money on my own plot, I only know a fraction of what I could about gardening. I'm a pretty normal gal that has gotten herself into something she knows she wants but will take some time to figure out. For example, I don't really understand the ends and outs of "amending the soil" or know when I should start my seeds without having to refer to the packets in which they came. I certainly don't have all the right tools, and I already know I bought way too many seeds, but that's part of the fun of it all. I'm giving myself permission to get caught up in the giddiness of making plans and the excitement of anticipating all the delicious treats to come(God willing). Knowing all the potential knowledge to be acquired makes me all warm and fuzzy which leaves no room for hesitancy or fear. Things are certain to happen that won't be ideal, but the hypothetical issues I foresee will, in themselves, be a blessing and next year, I'll try to prevent or fix those issues. If I succeed, I succeed. If I fail, I succeed...eventually.

However, I do take comfort in knowing that every gardener, no matter age, background, or experience has difficulties or issues that arise each year that have nothing to do with personal ability or personal effort. Weather, seed failure, poor soil quality(OK so, I suppose these can be controlled or corrected to some extent...but you get my point) all affect the success of a garden and the morale of the gardener and are things that can't be completely determined or righted with human efforts. I guess I like knowing that it's not ALWAYS going to be my fault if something goes wrong.

Thus, my plans for the plot...

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Carin you already know a little bit about gardening. Look at what we did in the Outdoor Garden last spring at QAS. I have confidence in you as a gardener and as a friend. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete