Saturday, March 6, 2010

Something to chew on...

Today, I learned that out of the funds my parents have spent on 20 years worth of home upkeep and remodeling, a tenth of those monies have been used toward landscaping and maintaining the yard. This amount includes but is not limited to all mulch, fertilizer, plants, pots, soil, seed, and decorative components used in the yard. It does NOT include any garden-specific tools, machinery, or the watering of said landscaping. While it could get much more extravagant than this percentage, it is still a decent amount of money and shouldn't every homeowner examine his or her spending?

My point in bringing up my parents' personal finances? Well, it's all relevant....they're using money, time, and space to create a beautiful and, I'll agree enjoyable facade. It's even something I know they enjoy spending money and time doing, but, nevertheless, it is still a facade. OK, maybe they plant some herbs or even a tomato plant for the fun of it, but they don't concentrate on farming for food or what I would call 'landscaping for life'. They get their food from the grocery and haven't, until recently, thought much beyond what day of the week they'll get to the store. They are ornamental horticulturalists by education and thus, concentrate on making their lawn and landscaping look beautiful for themselves, for their property value, for guests, for the neighbors...for the sake of social norms. Those may all be valid, lovely reasons, and I can personally say that I understand each one. However, I can't completely rectify spending so much of everything with not much to show for it besides 20 years of having a nice yard and having the approval of neighbors. If you take a moment to meditate on 20 years worth of watering, fertilizing, purchasing, decision making, and maintaining a facade of responsibility, organization, and beauty....it's quite disgusting. Besides, if one is trying to make one's property appear pure, beautiful, and I'll assume, natural, (since we are dealing with items found in nature) it is pretty ironic, disappointing, and pitifully disrespectful to consider how truly forced, phony, and disruptive landscaping for looks truly is. I suppose if there were no other way to develop one's lawn then I wouldn't have a problem with ornamental landscaping. In fact, I would see it as a respectful nod of recognition and admiration to the natural beauty of plants and earth. But, the problem is, there is something else that can be done to our lawns that is less boring, less intrusive, and less wasteful. Why plant lawns when we can plant food?

Maybe you think I'm being too harsh, especially since I used my own parents as a springboard for this tirade. And I understand... I've thoroughly enjoyed running around on our plush lawn, helping my mom plant spring flowers, or trimming hedges with my dad. I even think these experiences shaped who I am and specifically shaped me into someone who loves the outdoors and working in the dirt to produce beautiful things. The difference is what we're producing....just something to chew on.

No comments:

Post a Comment