Saturday, July 10, 2010

Going on a Treasure Hunt

Now that I've returned to town for good, I can finally concentrate on the garden. I surveyed the damage and it isn't all that bad... Of course there are the weeds. Dried up cripsy leaves? you ask. Well, yes. Plants that probably hate me, yes. Peppers that could care less about growing, yes. Tyrannical flea beatles attacking my eggplant, definitely. But, like I said it's not all that bad. Completely salvageable.

Thus, I decided that first on the the to-do list would be a treasure hunt...a delicious potato treasure hunt. Start with locating the 'X'. Well, not exactly an 'X' but rather a dead potato plant marks the spot.














Next, slip pitchfork (really should use a potato fork with blunt edges so as to prevent dissecting one's precious potatoes) into soil at a 45 degree angle about a foot away from the base of the plant. Apply pressure downward and pry up the soil containing the potato plant.













After a little digging and sifting with your hands, you should behold your treasure!













Keep digging until you achieve basket o' taters!
Those are Red Gold and Austrian Crescent (fingerling) varieties by the way.











After playing pirate I harvested tomatillos, a few yellow pear tomatoes and green onions. I also tied up tomatoes, weeded as much as possible, dead headed marigolds and snipped me some zinnias for a small bouquet.










On watch: green beans with a possible case of rust, stupid peppers that wilt for no reason, and the eggplants with leaves of lace..thanks to those pesky flea beatles. No worries though.










See, I'm still happy.

3 comments:

  1. Carin, remember the Missouri wildflowers garden I was telling you about? Well there is a sunflower that is at least 12-13 feet tall growing in my backyard. I should take a picture and send it to you. It would be cool if I could cut the heads off and plant the seeds in the Outdoor Garden at school! Hope you are keeping cool this summer and beating the heat. ºoºCliffºoº

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much!! I've been away too--first I was camping for July 4th and then I went to Chicago for work. So I haven't been to my garden in a while and I'm a little worried....but your post has made me a little less so :) I will be calling you this week to catch up, hope your travels were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! I would love to see your gargantuan sunflower, Cliff...I just have dwarves that are getting reading to open up and one normal sized one that's no where close to blooming. Sunflowers can only make you smile; they would be a perfect addition to the school garden!

    Gretchen, did you do a 'check up' on your garden? How are things after your time away? Gardens become part of you...it's very humbling to know that somethings you can't control. It's a good lesson for me to learn. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my post; it was a fun one to write! Hope to hear from you soon :)

    ReplyDelete