Monday, July 19, 2010

Late Night in the Garden

So it's pretty hot these days. So hot that just going outside makes me feel like I'm done working out for the day. A face full of sweat and shiny shins stay with you as loong as the sun's out. Thus, gardening is something I don't dare try until the sun is way down, and in the summer that's 9 o'clock.

Although it gets harder to see every little detail and you don't have the benifit of taking as long as you'd like, late night gardening is splendid. The bats and swallows swoop about the air, a breeze weaves through the rows, and the crickets chirp their nightly songs. Working at dusk in the garden can be nothing but peaceful, cool, refreshing. Its fleeting nature only heightens the experience.

Yesterday, however, I braved the heat for a basil harvest which I needed for a recipe. I also gleaned the first "real" tomato of the season and of course, tomatillos, cherry and yellow pear tomatoes. Mmm...mmm.

The recipe was for a Caprese Pasta Salad and it was delicious, especially because I used so many garden goodies! As usual, I made my own recipe from bits and pieces I had found elsewhere. Here's the deal:

-Cook about 1 lb. of pasta (I used penne) until just done- al dente is way better in pasta salad
-Let pasta cool at room temp (mix a bit of olive oil in to prevent stickiness)
-Dice about 3-4 tomatoes and a package of fresh mozzarella... set aside
-In small bowl, wisk together 1 tsp. mayo, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil as well as crushed sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
-Chop a handful of fresh basil leaves into 1/4 inch strips or pieces

-Mix tom/cheese into cooled pasta and add half of the dressing, stir gently with a spatula
-Add in basil
-Let sit covered for hour or more at room temp.
-Come back and taste- add more dressing, salt, and pepper if needed
-Makes a great summer side dish!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm excited to try this pasta salad! I've never really found a dressing recipe that suits fresh veggies--usually they all call for bottled stuff. Sounds yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it...but I would say it tastes way better the day of than as leftovers. The pasta gets tougher and the tomatoes lose flavor after being in the fridge...so gobble it up while you can!

    You can also add garlic and toasted nuts if you need even more flavor. Enjoy buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Boone:
    Im so happy that your garden's doing well! Mine's actually pretty good...if you don't mind weeds-everywhere. I gotta weed that soon.
    It must be hard to maintain such a large garden. Do you have people helping you or do you garden all by yourself?
    Was it hard to plant that many seeds???

    -Katie Blanner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, sorry I just saw this comment! My husband was helping a lot when he still lived here and my parents like coming over to harvest if I'm not around. It's really not that bad as long as you enjoy the work, which I luckily do!
    Planning for the planting of all the seeds is what took the longest...making sure everything went in at the right time, in the best place possible. But, that's also what makes it a fun challenge, wouldn't you agree?!

    ReplyDelete