Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weekly update

Yesterday was my first real day of work at the plot this week.  With all the rain of last weekend, I had to wait for the ground to dry up to get out there.  Take a look at that sodden soil...there was no way I was going in there!










By Friday, the heavy winds and 80 degree days had done the trick, and I was able to plant corn and some flowers like cosmos and cornflowers.  Along with thinning carrots, beets, and lettuce, I also weeded the big hulk weeds that have sprung back in preparation for more planting and transplanting.

Although all of that took some time, the biggest task yesterday was hilling the potatoes.  Apparently, I should be doing this potato covering until the plants blossom.  I estimate we are a few weeks away from that...I am certain to run out of soil and mulch by then.  The hills or mounds are nearly two feet off the ground!  I'm just hopeful that my efforts yield lots of yummy taters!

No comments:

Post a Comment